Stockbridge Grist Mill
$91,500 and $57,132
Completed Project
Project Description
Stockbridge Grist Mill
This project funded a new walkway into the oldest water-driven grist mill in America, as well as the creation of a pocket park next to the mill.

This project fully met the requirements of the Town’s CPC goals for historical resources by recognizing, preserving and enhancing the historical heritage and character for the Town’s current residents and future generations.
History
In 1640 Isaac Stedman dammed the First Herring Brook and built a sawmill beside the pond. Around 1650, John Stockbridge built the currently standing gristmill. Much of the machinery now in the mill was installed by Stockbridge.

The nether mill stone, the gate wheel, the crane and large wooden screw for lifting the mill stone, and the cast iron gears are original. The upper level over the spillway contains the millstones, and originally it stood even with the road to facilitate the handling of grain. The lower level contains a bin and platform where the meal was bagged and delivered to the owner through an opening in the side of the building.

The Stockbridge and Clapp families owned and operated the mill until 1922 when William H. Clapp conveyed it to the Scituate Historical Society.

In 1970 the mill was restored to working condition and corn was ground during the time the mill was open for several historical tours. One and two pound bags of cornmeal were prepared and sold at that time.

Courtesy of The Scituate Historical Society
Photos (click on image to enlarge)
Map