Little Red Schoolhouse Restoration
$135,200
Completed Project
Project Description
Little Red Schoolhouse
The Kathleen Laidlaw Historical Center, or "The Little Red Schoolhouse," is the headquarters of the Scituate Historical Society at 43 Cudworth Road. This project funded the full restoration of the building (Scituate's first High School) in order to help protect the historical artifacts stored there. Work included updating the building with fire and burglar alarm systems, meeting ADA compliant access, porch restoration and improvements to storage areas. The Scituate Historical Society provided 20% of the funding for the project.

This project fully meets the requirements of the Town’s CPC goals for historical resources by recognizing, preserving and enhancing the historical heritage and character for the Town’s current residents and future generations.
History
The Town of Scituate bought the land on First Parish Road from the Thorndike and Cudworth families, and the school house opened in 1893 adjacent to the Town Hall on the site of the Gates Intermediate School. The building served as the Town's High School until the central section of what is now the Gates Intermediate School was completed in 1917. The school house building was moved to its present location of 43 Cudworth Road in 1919.

Over the years it has served as an auxiliary classroom building and then as offices for the Scituate schools’ superintendent. The Scituate Historical Society bought the building from the Town of Scituate in 1984 for $1, and it now houses the Society's genealogical and historical library, administrative center, and archives with a central gift shop.

Courtesy of The Scituate Historical Society
Photos (click on image to enlarge)
Map